Sightseeing flight
100$ Pizza

INBOUND VIA LUZERN | RIGI | GOTTHARDPASS | LOCARNO
OUTBOUND VIA LUKMANIERPASS | OBERALPPASS | MYTHEN | HALLWILERSEE

 
Route_100$n_s.png

Route Outbound

Route_100$s_n.png

Program

Example (times according to the above slots with a 45 min flight)
09.30 Arrival| Welcome Coffee at restaurant (individually)
10.00 Welcome at Birrfeld | greeting by the pilot
10.10 Briefing with the pilot on the biplane
10.20 Boarding the biplane | Warm up engine
10.30 Take off inbound Locarno
11.45 Landing at Locarno
12.00 Lunch Pizzeria Al Porto
14.15 Boarding the biplane
14.30 Take off outbound Locarno to Birrfeld
15.15 Landing at Birrfeld | Fotosession on Tarmac (with own cameras)
15.30 By by with pilot & biplane

When & Where

Booking Select a main date and time period as well as 1-2 alternate dates/times (weather/available slots) when requesting. You will receive an inquiry/booking confirmation.

On site We meet in front of the AIS Birrfeld (entrance to the flight school, at blue automatic sliding door)

Flugplatz Birrfeld | CH-5242 Lupfig

Weather

The flight takes place under favourable visual flight conditions (VFR). More information on the status bar at the top of this website. Instrument flight (IFR) is partial possible on this route.

Amount of participants

1 – 2 Persons per flight. Groups are possible.

Price

CHF 1440 airfare Birrfeld - Locarno 80 min in the biplane (7 min ground |73 min air)
CHF 25 landing fee Locarno
CHF 1512 airfare Locarno - Birrfeld 84 min in the biplane (7 min ground |77 min air)
CHF 17 landing fee Birrfeld
CHF 2994 total price for 2 persons

The flight times given are indicative. The effective operating time is calculated at CHF 18 per minute according to the operating hours counter (HOBBS Time). Landing fees, passenger or customs fees according to the regulations of the airport. The flights are on a private basis, non-commercial and at cost price. Airfare is payable in advance. Final payment on site in cash or credit card. The credit card fee is not included in the total price.

Details

Luzern

Lucerne is the social and cultural centre of Central Switzerland. In the field of education, it is the seat of the University of Lucerne, the Lucerne University of Teacher Education and the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, among others. Events with supraregional appeal include the Lucerne Carnival and the Lucerne Festival. Lucerne is an important tourist destination in Switzerland, on the one hand because of its location on Lake Lucerne and its proximity to the Alps, and on the other hand thanks to sights such as the Chapel Bridge and the Swiss Museum of Transport.

Rigi (IT’S A LADY)

First mentioned in 1479 by Albrecht von Bonstetten - the name Rigi was derived from the Latin Regina montium "Queen of the Mountains", which characterized the majesty and beauty of the mountain. As early as the 18th century, the Rigi was known as a destination for excursions and holidays thanks to its good location on Lake Lucerne. In 1816, the first wooden guest house was built on the Kulm. This construction was largely supported by the Zurich panorama draughtsman Heinrich Keller. Further guest houses were built in the following decades. In 1875, the Grand Hotel "Schreiber" with 300 beds was opened as the largest building constructed to date in the summit area. This was demolished in the early 1950s and replaced by a smaller new building.

In 1859, Friedrich Albrecht proposed a railway to the Rigi, whose gondolas were to be driven by gas balloons and take you up the mountain. The Vitznau Rigi Railway (rack railway) was put into operation on 21 May 1871 as the first mountain railway in Europe. It reached the summit in 1873 and has been electrically operated since 1937. VRB had to lease the line from Staffelhöhe to Kulm from ARB until the merger, as it did not have a concession for this part of the line, which was located in Schwyz.

The Arth-Rigi-Bahn (rack railway) was put into operation on 4 June 1875. In 1907, this railway was the first standard gauge rack railway in the world to be converted to electric propulsion. The original valley line from Arth am See to Goldau no longer exists. Today the railway starts at Arth-Goldau station.

The Weggis-Rigi Kaltbad panoramic aerial cableway was put into operation on 15 July 1968. The aerial cableway Kräbel Rigi-Scheidegg LKRS from Goldau was put into operation in 1953. Capacity was increased in 1960 and 1985, and in 2017 it was replaced by a Garaventa "compact railway" with 15-passenger cabins made by CWA. Other, smaller aerial cableways operate from Vitznau to the Wissiflue and to Hinterbergen, between Gschwänd and Burggeist, and from Brunnen to the Urmiberg.

The two rack railways use the same standard gauge tracks with racks according to the Riggenbach system and the same traction voltage of 1500 V DC, so that it is easy to replace vehicles. Between Rigi Kaltbad and Rigi Scheidegg, the narrow-gauge Rigi-Kaltbad-Scheidegg railway was built between 1874 and 1875, but only made a profit in a few years and interrupted operations several times. In 1931, operations were completely discontinued, the rolling stock sold and the line was discontinued in 1942. On the route of this railway today, a comfortable hiking trail, which is also popular in winter, leads over bridges and through a tunnel.

Gotthardpass

The Gotthard Pass divides the waters and connects different cultural and linguistic areas. Its importance as a "transalpine crossing" began at the beginning of the 13th century with the construction of the legendary devil's bridge in the Schöllenenschlucht gorge. For many centuries, trading caravans (in the exchange cycle of cattle and cheese for grain, wine, rice and salt), rice runners, messengers and even whole armies crossed the pass.

Between 1818 and 1836, the canton of Uri, with the help of other cantons, extended the pass road, which also led to the supremacy among the Swiss Alpine crossings. The Gotthard Pass has had a major impact on the economy and culture of Central Switzerland for centuries. Until the opening of the Gotthard Railway in 1882, the Gotthard Pass was also used in winter. Dozens of footpads and shovelmen were at work.

In 1922, the postbus replaced the stagecoach, and with the introduction of petrol duties in 1923, the expansion of the pass roads began to this day. The old pass road on the south side, the Tremola between the pass summit and Airolo, is still preserved and passable. This section of road reminds of more contemplative journeys over the Gotthard, which were not so long ago. In the 19th and 20th centuries, the Gotthard Pass was "condensed" into a myth, a symbol of Switzerland's independence, unity and identity.

Locarno

Locarno is located in the sunny part of Switzerland. In the old town is the Castello Visconteo, founded in the 12th century, with the Museo Civico, a museum of town history with finds from the Roman era. The pilgrimage church of the Madonna del Sasso, built in the 15th century, is a pilgrimage site with numerous works of art. It is located above the city and can be reached by funicular.

Our insider tip: the pizzeria on the Aeroporto Locarno. In the beautiful garden, served nutty and wafer-thin. Felt like 100$ value in any case.

Lukmanierpass

When the monastery of Disentis was founded around 720, the Lukmanier Pass, which could be crossed without great difficulty and was also much lower than the other passes in the Alps, became quite important. During the Staufer era it was considered the most important north-south connection to Italy. However, it quickly lost this role to the Gotthard and Splügen Passes. In 1374 the monastery of Disentis built the "Hospezi S. Maria" with a chapel at the top of the pass. Both had to make way for the construction of the reservoir in 1964. The new hospice at its current location was inaugurated on 1 August 1965 and the chapel in 1967.

The Lukmanier Pass played an important role at times in the choice of the route of an Alpine railway, because the planners assumed that the realisation would be possible without expensive summit tunnels. In 1869, however, the decision was made in favour of the Gotthard Railway. Between 1872 and 1877, a modern road was built over the Lukmanier. With the construction of the "Lai da Sontga Maria" reservoir in the 1960s, the road on the Grisons side had to be relocated to a gallery. The importance of a supra-regional traffic axis ended with the opening of the motorway tunnel through the Gotthard. Tourism in the Surselva began to suffer enormously as a result, especially as the pass remained closed during the winter from 1980 onwards.

On the initiative of the municipality of Disentis and the Surselva mountain railways, the "Pro Lucomagn" association was founded, which since 2005 has been responsible for keeping the Lukmanier Pass open for as long as possible in winter. The canton, district, municipalities and tourism in both Grisons and Ticino provide the finances. The five-year trial phase was positive. Since 2011, this project has been secured for the long term. Clearly for the benefit of tourism in the Surselva as well as in the Blenio Valley.

Oberalppass

The fact that the Urseren valley was already in the possession of the monastery Disentis in the early Middle Ages proves the early ascent of the Oberalp pass. For centuries, there was only a simple mule track, which was only used by locals. The wave of emigration of many families from the upper Valais to Rhaetia did not change much. The Oberalppass was not of great importance.

Only in the 19th century, the "Graubündtner tourist guides", who led their guests on horseback over the pass, complained about the insufficient maintenance of the mule track, especially on the Urner side. In 1859, the government of Uri intervened with the district council Urseren and demanded an improvement of the situation. Military and strategic considerations, which were made in the National Council in Bern, helped Oberalp to get a proper road within a few years (1863/64).

The five-in-hand stagecoach brought tourism to flourish. In 1921 the post bus replaced the coach. In 1926, the cogwheel-driven Furka-Oberalp Railway (today the Matterhorn-Gotthard Railway) started operating with steam. In 1942 the line was electrified and the steam locomotive was taken out of service. The road (summer) and the railway (all year round) are of great importance for tourism in the Urseren valley and in the Surselva.

Mythen

Mythen is the absolute landmark of the municipality of Schwyz. The Great Mythen is even immortalised in the National Council Chamber and in the Basel station concourse. A climb up the imposing mountain with a 360-degree panorama is one of those things in life that you have to do once in a lifetime!

The trail leads from Schwyz via the St. Josef convent in Loo (Klösterli) to the Mythenbad and Holzegg, which lies at the foot of the Gross Mythen. The ascent to the Grossen Mythen is relatively steep and not for inexperienced hikers. Once on the summit, all efforts are forgotten and a breathtaking panoramic view of the mountain peaks of the Alps, the valley basin of Schwyz, the lakes of Central Switzerland and the expanse of the Central Plateau presents itself.

Hallwilersee

The lake in the Swiss midlands is located in the Seetal, like Lake Baldeggersee a little further south. It is 8.4 km long, 1.5 km wide at its widest point and a maximum depth of 48 m. Its surface area is 10.3 km², five sixths of which are located in the Lenzburg district of Canton Aargau and one sixth in the Hochdorf district of Canton Lucerne. The main inflow or outflow is the Aabach, which flows into the Bünz at Möriken-Wildegg (which in turn flows into the Aare almost two hundred metres further on). Next to it, numerous small streams flow into the lake.